29 December 2007

New Year's Greetings from ReX!

Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolutions.

* Gibran

***
Since the Chris Rose article in the paper came out, there have been so many positive responses that I just wanted to send a thank you to everyone for their support. Your words, gestures and acts of kindness have been overwhelming and I can't even begin to know how to reciprocate. I'm deeply honored by all of the personal stories that I have been sent and I am gracious and humbled that you have chosen to share them with me. Each and every one of us will Rise Again and in so doing NoLA will Rise again.

As we've seen, there were a small handful of people who want to take issue with some of my personal history and do so in a public forum. I will give them no consideration in that if they are the wonderful people they say they are in their internet postings, then they'd consider that there are two sides to every story and mistakes are made in two sides of every argument. I won't dishonor my family by going into details of wrongs in either account. I'm not a public official and I'm not a celebrity...I'm just a guy trying to make his way through the world in the best way that I can, working to overcome obstacles so that I can be the best person I can for my children. When you have been left with nothing, sometimes it takes a while to "boot up" and get moving and that's where I'm going...forward and on my own terms.

With that, I won't be stopped by a naysayer. Everything that goes into rebuilding a city isn't just about bricks and mortar. Save that for some sterile mega-city in another state. New Orleans has had more soul and spirit in one day than most cities in this country have seen in a year and I just happen to be one of those people on that bandwagon. In the New Year, I will be looking at a career change that will hopefully be as mentally rewarding as it is financially...I will be taking NoLA Rising into the non-profit world with a group of people who I believe will work well with me towards increasing the quality of life in our city...and I will be working to promote the people in this city in a way that may not be profitable, but will plant the seeds for a beautiful future.

With that, I salute you all, whether you believe in what I am doing or not. I send you greetings for a Happy and Safe New Year! We are now on the short road to Mardi Gras...let's celebrate it well to honor New Orleans!

Again, I salute you all!
ReX
(Just a guy with an idea)
***





Photos from this day's post are from the collection of A. Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment